1) St. John’s Church (1895)

St John's Church BarmouthThe original Anglican church in Barmouth was near the harbour, (see No 5), but with the influx of tourists following the arrival of the railway in 1867 it became apparent that a much bigger church was needed. St. John’s was built on a platform blasted from the hillside and red stone and slate form this hugely impressive and commanding presence over the town. It owes its existence to the determination – and money – of Mrs Sarah Perrins, (the widow of James Dyson Perrins who, together with John Wheeley Lea, created Lea and Perrins Worcester Sauce).  It was built between 1889, when Queen Victoria’s daughter, Beatrice, laid the foundation stone before a great crowd, and 1895. Princess Beatrice laying the foundation stone in 1889In between, in 1891, the great tower collapsed into the nave, destroying much of the building, but Mrs Perrins again helped with a further donation of £15,000 to complete the church.

The church is usually open seasonally for visitors.

 St. John's Church Interior Barmouth