5) St David’s Church (1830)

St David's ChurchThere are one or two buildings in Barmouth built from this remarkable green slate stone. St David’s Church was the first, in 1830. A simple Gothic cruciform church, designed by the architect Edward Haycock the Elder of Shrewsbury, it was the first Anglican church in Barmouth. When initially built at a cost of £2000 it was almost on the beach. Built on the site of a former shipyard, there was considerable local opposition to the construction, the opposing faction contending that sand-drifts would make the approach practically inaccessible, and for some years after opening the congregation were indeed greatly annoyed by sand-drifts!