15) Caersalem Chapel (1866)

Caersalem Chapel, BarmouthLike much of Wales, worship in Barmouth tended towards non-conformity during the 18th and 19th centuries and this chapel expresses the success of the Calvanistic Methodists in Barmouth. Originally started in the home of early Methodist followers, a chapel was then constructed in the area where the railway bridge and St David’s church are now. The land was later sold to the railway company and the present site was chosen. The chapel was built for £2,500 and it is remarkable that this investment was paid up by the fervent congregation themselves within a few years. The building is now utilised as a shop, but is Grade 2 Listed and retains much of its contemporary interior, including a fine ornate ceiling.