21) Cors y Gedol

Cors y Gedol, BarmouthThe Cors y Gedol had an impressive history as one of Barmouth’s leading hostelries and hotels until recently, when it was converted into flats and shops. It is not certain when it was originally constructed built but it was rebuilt and re-opened in 1795 when Lowry Lewis was landlady. It was rebuilt in its present form around 1869 by John Robert Davies. 

One colourful tenant was William Barnett who farmed in the area as well as being a sergeant in the Merioneth Militia. Always with an eye to trade he encouraged the introduction of sea bathing in the town as well as putting warm ‘seaweed baths’ into the hotel and building the Bath House on the quay.Barmouth High Street 1889