The Beginning: Talbot Square

Talbot SquareThe Barmouth Heritage Trail starts from Talbot Square, just a few paces from the fine Victorian Railway Station. The square takes its name from Mrs Fanny Talbot, one of the principal figures in Barmouth’s history. Born in Somerset she moved to Barmouth in 1873 following her husband’s death and devoted herself to local philanthropic work. From the square many of the buildings from the town’s Victorian and Edwardian heyday are still visible. To the right, the round topped building, (now a DIY store), was once the home to motor charabancs and coaches that served to take visitors to the many attractions nearby. To the left the town library still operates on the square.Green Garage, Station Road, 1906

Looking towards the hills it is easy to make out The Arches, small individual shop units but conceived as a single and uniform development. Each has always developed its own individuality with successive owners. To the right hand side of the Arches the small road leads up to the first stop on the trail, St. Johns Church. You will pass the former Church Hall, built in 1910 and paid for by Mrs. Williams, the former Mrs Perrins, (see No. 1). It followed the style of St. John’s Church.>